Sonntag, 23. September 2007

Response in Chapter 5: The Sound (and Look) of Sense

Response on Chapter 5: The Sound (and Look) of Sense

Thinking about rhyme and his effects is very interesting. In elementary school I had to learn many poems by heart. And as far as I can remember they always rhymed. At that time I liked rhyme since it was easier to learn I guess.

In this chapter the author states that especially in English language it is hard to find exact rhyme which is obviously the case for the words “circle” and “month”. When writing poems I have also experienced how difficult it is to find rhyming words especially as a non-native speaker.

However, I prefer poems that do not rhyme since rhyme often appears to make the poem some kind of harmonic. It could also draw the attention away from the poem’s content or make the tone change. When I wanted to create a poem that was partly about the sky the words “flying high in the sky” popped up immediately. It’s because these words can be found in many songs so that they have become overused I guess. Actually, I did not want to create any rhyme at all. The point is that many line endings do not surprise the reader or listener anymore since they occurred to our ears so many times just because they rhyme.

Basically, I think rhyme is only a good thing if the poet wants to create a poem that is really ironic. So the harmonic effect of rhyme would underline the irony intended. And this kind of contradiction would probably make the poem more provoking.

Keine Kommentare: