Sonntag, 30. September 2007

Response on "Howl" by Allen Ginsberg

The poem is very special since it reminds me more on speech than on a poem I think. For instance, the long sentences, the repetitions, and the length of the poem itself. Moreover, it has a very persuasive tone I guess trying to make people aware of social issues. For instance, there are a lot of images revealing social criticism: there are passages dealing with crime, violence, drugs, madness as well as sexual references, for example:

“in a Turkish Bath when the blond & naked angel came to pierce
them with a sword“

“who copulated ecstatic and insatiate with a bottle of
beer a sweetheart a package of cigarettes a candle and fell off the bed“

“who howled on their knees in the subway and were dragged off the roof waving genitals and manuscripts, who let themselves be fucked in the ass by saintly motorcyclists, and screamed with joy“


Moreover, the text is full of references which make it rather hard to approach its full meaning. However, I like the third part most where he directly addresses his friend Carl Solomon whom he met at Rockland. I have read that Rockland refers to a psychiatry. It’s interesting how the speaker experiences visions and hallucinations and how this is expressed through very unusual choice of his words or language in general.

Finally, Ginsberg’s language is very radical and violent. I think that is concerning the time this poem was created. I would have expected such kind of poetry some years later I guess.

Keine Kommentare: